Re: [Asrg] spammers and telemarketers

2003-03-12 15:18:39
On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Jed Margolin wrote:

Many people have different definitions of spam.  Since spammers seem to be
the Internet manifestation (or infestation) of telemarketing it might be
instructive to see how the U.S. Government defines telemarketers:

From  http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/15/6106.html

U.S. Code  TITLE 15 > CHAPTER 87 > Sec. 6106.

"The term ''telemarketing'' means a plan, program, or campaign which is
conducted to induce purchases of goods or services by use of one or more
telephones and which involves more than one interstate telephone call.

Just so long as we don't limit the definition of spam to linking to goods
or services. That rules out Nigerian Scams, and also the wierd
"Uncertainty Probability is Untenable" guy (though that was worth getting
for humour value, the first time around).

I'm still quite happy with the monkeys.com definition:
http://www.monkeys.com/spam-defined/

Matt.