RE: [Asrg] Gray list: rating of associates

2003-03-18 17:52:53
Original thread message:
https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg01552.html

Kee,

All good points... there's no perfect solution, but let me address your
constructive criticism point-by-point:

1. Yes, these long addresses containing GUIDs are hard to remember.
Therefore, you do need an address book. I generally email from a single
machine, so I don't feel that same pain of needing to send mail from
multiple machines. Maybe there are some stats on how many people use
multiple machines for routine emailing.

2. If you and your friends find it easy to use this approach, then do so.
Each of you has to only click the "grant" and "accept" button once in the
ASP software, and you've exchanged private email addresses for each other.
After that, emailing is just as simple as sending is now, assuming you use
an address book (or have super-human memory and fast fingers!) If you don't
want to annoy anyone (the kind of person who likes to please everyone), then
check your regular email address once every week or so, but the friends who
cared enough to click a few buttons as a one-time setup would get faster
response than once a week.

3. Yes, you're right that you still have the spam mail to read if you want,
but at least you can segregate it from authenticated email. Many users will
probably want to use a "vacation" type auto-reply that says "your message
landed in my anyone-and-everyone folder... I'll read it sometime before the
22nd century, or you can call me and we'll exchange high-priority email
addresses with each other...". You could also run spam content filters on
your unsolicited mail folder, risking false positives.

4. (humor) This is an unforeseen benefit of this solution: annoy all your
friends so they never write to you again, and then you can safely conclude
all the remaining emails are spam! :) (seriously) Some will set this up, but
in an open-standards world, everyone can do as they wish.

5. There are several approaches we've started: a custom MUA, a custom MTA,
or both. The most likely to occur quickly is a custom MTA alone. Many MUA's
already handle sorting messages by importance tag, so the custom MTA would
modify the importance tag when it auto-forwards email to the final account
for POP3/IMAP pickup. For example, if I get a "high importance" message from
you at dlampert_<GUID>@homeai.com, it'll forward perhaps as a "low
importance" (no insult intended) message to
dlampert_the_real_shady(_at_)homeai(_dot_)com (no, that's not the real account,
and
everyone has their own real account). No need to change your MUA; however,
other benefits come from a custom MUA plug-in.

6. Good point. Obviously, if you store everyone in your address book, and a
virus gets your address book, that's not good. (humor) Just like robot.txt,
let's have a virus.txt with content "desire-to-be-infected=0". That should
stop all viruses! :)

7. Example: if Ian rated Jane a 90%, and Jane gives to Kim this email
address "ian_<GUID-for-Jane>@...", then, yes, Kim has the same access to Ian
that Jane would (90%). The system, however, supports referral and
introduction actions done through the same web site console as striking up
conversations.

Overall, this proposed system is just slighly more difficult than just
sending someone an email. It requires at least a few clicks ONE TIME to
strike up a friendship, etc. But the advantage is that we don't need to
overhaul the whole SMTP system. Yes, eventually an overhaul may be the way
to go, but by that time, I'll have my HMD and data gloves on while
participating in an IETF panel remotely from Fiji.

Keep the constructive criticism coming...

-Dave "VR Fiji" Lampert