[Asrg] Re: This research group will fail

2003-03-19 13:07:11
From: Hadmut Danisch <hadmut(_at_)danisch(_dot_)de>

I wouldn't be surprised at all if most of the spammers turned out
to be the same people selling anti-spam-software and services, and
trying to put through recipient-only solutions.

Full-disclosure: I make a living selling anti-spam software.

Nevertheless, I am not a spammer.  I also give away the core of my
product for free under the GPL.  And I offer for free anti-spam ideas
that anyone (including my competitors) can use or not as they see fit---
I don't go for dumb patents or stupid trade secret protection.

The bottom line is that I also think this research group will fail,
if by "fail" you mean "find an effective standard solution that stops
almost all spam, and is implementable within the next decade."

I think my business model is realistic:  I don't expect a real
solution to spam without massive reworking of Internet protocols, and
I don't expect that reworking to take place in under a decade.  In the
meantime, I see an opportunity.

If you do not like my business model, don't buy my products, or else
just use the GPL'd subset.

--
David.