Re: Bounces, was Re: [Asrg] Sender pays vs Forgeries

2003-03-20 13:20:39
On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:02:12 GMT, Tony Finch said:
Matt Sergeant <msergeant(_at_)startechgroup(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

1. The vast majority of spam is sent with invalid return addresses (be
they forged or since-closed freemail accounts).
2. A large proportion (approaching or in excess of 50%) of all email is
spam.

I expect to see a lot more junk email from <> and therefore a lot more
systems rejecting all bounces. I haven't seen much talk about maintaining
the reliablility of Internet email in the face of this kind of attack.

It's bad enough that www.rfc-ignorant.org keeps a list of DSN-borked sites.

For some odd reason, the majority of sites that I encounter that reject
mail from <> are spamhauses that don't want to deal with bounces. Fancy that. ;)