RE: [Asrg] My Opinion regarding ietf asrg session (it went badly! )

2003-03-21 03:35:07
Being ISP owner and network engineer who manages not only my company network
(two /19 blocks, ASN, peers, transits) but also networks for couple other
companies, all with multiple transit providers, I have to disagree with this.
All transit providers amd large networks employ filtering at bgp advertisment
level and you would only be able to send them routes that you have previously
told them about and where they were able to confirm you're the owner of
the ip block.

The only way I could see how somebody would advertise false route is if
they tell their upstream that they have such as and such customer as
downstream and their upstream is stupid enough not to verify it - at
some size level upstream would trust its downstream ISP, i.e. if I
tell that this network is for my customer, I would not get questions,
but spammers usually do not have network and only use blocks received
from theeir upstream, almost nobody would trust such company on their word
to advertise another block without proof and advertising false block can
also put tier-1 network into legal problems it may also cost them as far
as peering contracts.

And as far as I can remember (and I'v been on both spam-related
lists and even more network-engineering lists) there was only one or two
examples and all two years ago or more. Besides that I'm also expert in
ip whois and run free public whois referral server at completewhois.com
(similar to geektools but all my own code and algorithms and dare say its
lot more capable - both on domains and ip info) so I have statistics on
what users are requesting and high amounts of spam are easy to see as
increase in whois queries on certain ips, sometimes I check this myself
and I did not see any clear hijacking.

But this is all completely off-topic and really not relevent to the
list so I apologize for the rant and will be on topic in next emails.

The problem is that it is almost as easy for the garbage creator to hijack a
legit IP address range by advertising a false route. So all things being
equal I would rather not create incentives for garbage creators to move to
strategies that are far more destructive.

      Phill