Re: [Asrg] Quotation

2003-03-23 07:46:16
On Thursday, Mar 20, 2003, at 23:32 US/Eastern, Hadmut Danisch wrote:
The 1,000,000 email addresses that we provide each week are general,
   non-targeted addresses, and are about 90% USA-based.  These are not
   opt-in addresses, but we have removed many of the flamers and
trouble-makers from the lists. We run them all through our commercial
   grade verification programs to ensure deliverability.

Lovely. Let's become "trouble-makers".

For a while, I would complain about every single spam. I'd track down the owner of the web site being advertised, and complain to their ISP. It worked quite well--at a time when other people I knew with well-known public e-mail addresses were getting 20-30 spams a day, I was getting 2-3.

I noticed that the spam I got was the real dregs, from folk with room temperature IQ. They'd send HTML as the body of a text/plain e-mail message, filled with spelling mistakes, advertising chest enlargement creams and other products only a really gullible moron would buy. So it seemed that by complaining, I filtered out the even-remotely-smart spammers.

However, over the last year or so, complaining simply stopped working as a strategy. There are too many spammers now who don't care how much trouble they cause, and too many morons. So now I get 60-80 pieces of spam a day, almost all so inept that SpamAssassin has no trouble filtering them out. I've yet to get a single false-positive, in fact.

mathew