Re: [Asrg] keeping it accurate

2003-03-24 15:15:22
From: Matt Sergeant <msergeant(_at_)startechgroup(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>

How many CPU-seconds do you spend for each incoming mail mesage and
how man users do you have?

We average about 1 second per email. We process over 10 million emails a
day for about 1.2 million users. IIRC our average processor is a 1.2Ghz
Pentium.

Yes, this is an inordinately long period of time.

It certainly is!  Are you user you're not counting other costs in that
1 second?  For example, the 3 or more DNS lookups per incoming mail message
(not counting DNS blacklists) can be time consuming.

On the other hand, from the outside looking in at a bunch of ISPs running
SpamAssassin+DCC, SpamAssassin filtering seems to run at ~1 sec/msg.

In other words, are you disagreeing with me?

I'm never sure ;-) Hence I'm not drawing any conclusions, just trying to
give the facts as we see them.

I don't see any disagreement with my claim that the computer and network
costs of spam per user are trivial and trivial in the aggregate until
you have thousands of users.  Multiplying a trivial cost by 1,200,000
can yield something non-trivial.

I think the most interesting number you've offered is the 10
msgs/user/day average.  What is the average spam load?  For U.S.
retail ISPs it seems to be 70-85%.  Are your numbers similar to
what I can see of other European ISPs?
(see http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/graphs/comp-rates )