[Asrg] How not to fight spam

2003-03-28 11:21:41
Can we agree that this sort of stuff is not an appropriate way to
fight spam.  Jump through a hoop, visit a web site, pick up a magic
string, then paste it into subsequent mail I send.  I don't know very many
people who I'm that desperate to sent e-mail to.

I was responding to a message he sent me; evidently he's too busy to read
answers to questions he asks.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 18:03:45 +0000
From: tim(_at_)mailkey(_dot_)com
To: johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com
Subject: RE:- RE: [ASRG] OPT-OUT NOTES: TOO COMPLICATED, IGNORING HISTORY

The email you sent to me with the subject line as above has been rejected due
to the fact that my email account is protected from SPAM by MailKey.   You are
not (yet) on my 'A-list' of approved senders, and the mail did not contain a
valid MailKey.

To successfully send the email to me, you need to obtain a MailKey from the
MailKey website.

A MailKey is a short unique code which will allow the email to be delivered
you simply insert the MailKey anywhere in the subject line, and re-send the
email to me.

The service is free, is very easy, and should take less than 1 minute to use!

Please go to
http://www.mailkey.com/pklookup(_dot_)aspx?to=xxx(_at_)xxxxxxx(_dot_)com&from=xxxxx(_at_)xxxx(_dot_)com
 to obtain the MailKey you need.

To retrieve the email you sent please go to
http://www.mailkey.com/retrievebody.aspx?id=xxxx

If you want to use the free MailKey service to lock out SPAM from your email
account, or find out more about MailKey, please go to http://www.mailkey.com