Re: [Asrg] base64 encoded mail

2003-06-20 04:51:04
Tony Hansen <tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com> wrote:

IMHO, blocking an email message because it's base64 encoded is
misguided. Here's a case in point: There are gateways out there that
will switch encodings on messages. If a message is sent through a
gateway that understands 8-bit messaging, and it is then passed
through to another system which only allows 7-bit, it's got to be
downgraded. Downgrading to base64 is perfectly reasonable for such a
gateway.

There are also various standards for sending assorted types of data
between systems, by email, that dictate that the pieces should be
base64-encoded.  Most notably I recall doing that with IVM.  (Haven't
kept up with that since then, tho, so I dunno if they've come up with
something else, or what....)

--
David J. Aronson, Unemployed Software Engineer in the Washington DC area
See http://destined.to/program/ for online resume and other information.