Re: [Asrg] Bug, or Feature?

2003-06-26 15:02:36

These long-winded apologias for microsoft are touching (and I hope
paid for!)

HOWEVER, what would've been so hard about putting in a goddamn pop-up
confirm box triggered at the system level which said something like:

        THAT ACTION IS TRYING TO MODIFY YOUR SYSTEM
        SOFTWARE AND/OR THE REGISTRY etc etc.

                 Proceed? [YES] [NO] [HELP]

based on some reasonable rules so it's a reasonably meaningful
warning? Lord knows they ask confirmation for everything else you do
it seems.

Sure, some dummy might click yes to everything but at least when you
just opened an email and suddenly there are 110db sirens and blaring
red lights it just might occur to someone to click [NO] or [HELP]
particularly after being warned a 100,000 times in every other CNN HN
and USA Today issue that if you see that warning and you don't have
some vendor's disk in the drive doing an install then be VERY
SUSPICIOUS.

And don't tell me about why Windows '95 doesn't have anything like
this (wasn't obvious in 1995, actually, it was, maybe Windows 3.0 has
that as an excuse), only tell me why Windows XP doesn't.

Or whatever.

The point is FOR WHATEVER REASON this mass-distributed technology flaw
appears to be the base root of the spam problem.

And that's what we're here to discuss.

Even if Gates et al only put it in there because it would help a poor,
blind, cripple become more self-sufficient and regain their pride and
integrity in a cruel and cold world I DON'T CARE. I only care why the
net is being flooded with spam and trying to figure out what to do
about it.

What next? How spam may be the only way for poor, starving
third-worlders to feed their families?

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*