[Asrg] News Article - An IP Whitelist

2003-06-26 18:25:37
Just ran across a SlashDot story (http://slashdot.org/articles/03/06/24/2148248.shtml) announcing a website (http://www.the-carrot-and-the-stick.com/) which acts as a whitelist of IPs of businesses that promise not to send spam.

From the front page:

"We offer an alternative to simply watching and waiting for the eventual extinction of the Internet. We offer a list of IP Addresses for businesses that abide by Accepted Standards of Conduct for the Online Business and Accepted Best Practices Online Email Marketing. "

From their charter (http://www.the-carrot-and-the-stick.com/charter/):

--snip--
Our mission is, simply put. To keep email a viable tool for one to one communication between individuals and businesses, individuals and individuals and finally between businesses to businesses.

We will accomplish this daunting task by understanding just how important email is to the World Wide Web.

Electronic Mail is the lifeblood of the World Wide Web. Currently this lifeblood is plagued by the disease of spam almost to where we can see the point of extinction of the Internet as we now know it in the not to distant future.

The Carrot and the Stick Inc., brings together a variety of talented individuals to keep Electronic Mail a usable method of communication for both the Business Community and the Home User.

The Carrot and the Stick Inc., will provide the needed parameters for the Bulk Mail Industry to follow by defining what spam is and what is more important. What is not spam by outlining Best Practices for the bulk mail industry. By doing this we will help the Bulk Mail Industry to be more profitable while making the overall online experience for the end user more enjoyable.

The Carrot, if you will is a list of Internet Protocol Addresses assigned to Bulk Mail Operators, Internet Service Providers and the General Business Community that adhere to the accepted Internet Standards for mailing list management. These standards have been the accepted Best Practices for list management for the last six or seven years.

Further, these members will follow our standards for online business conduct. These standards have been a part of the RFC standards for a very long time.

Their inclusion into the white list will allow legitimate Bulk Mail Operators to send their communications unimpeded to their list of subscribers. If for some reason their communications are refused The Carrot and the Stick Inc., will mediate between the sender and the recipient's provider to find out what the problem is. This will provide a venue for the sender and the Service Provider to facilitate a remedy for this situation. This is something that is not currently available on any sort of large scale.

The obvious direct affect of a Provider using this white list will be their ability to be more aggressive in their filtering with far fewer false positives. While this will not directly affect the volume of spam being sent this will directly affect the volume of spam being received by the end user. This will be a very important selling point to any Internet Service Provider.

In using, the same technique used to create and distribute a Black List you ensure the technology is already in place. The Internet Protocol Address of a Bulk Mail Operator can not be forged or otherwise altered to benefit unscrupulous individuals or to implicate the Bulk Mail Operator. These are usually static and there fore a very good way to ensure delivery of Electronic Mail.

The use of a White listing of Internet Protocol Addresses will preclude the possibility of fraud and/or forgery. This type of white listing is preferable to the of adding to the X-headers some riddle or sending mail through our servers instead of their own server. This would also mean the Bulk Mailer would not be limited to just the one mailing. Instead, because all their Internet Protocol Addresses are white listed means they can contact their list at any given time.

The Stick, if you will be a Black Listing of their Internet Protocol Addresses and legal action for damage to reputation for only those that abuse the White List by using it to spam. This should discourage abuse by any intelligent individuals.
---snip---