Re: [Asrg] 2 - Solving Spam By Establishing A Platform For Sender Accountability

2003-06-28 16:36:42
Hi Bob

> This method will be of limited use in
building black lists since the number of sites which should be blacklisted changes more rapidly than anyone can keep up with it.

Yes that was my comment in the scenario where it is easy to
create new verified domains. So sounds like we were saying
or meanning the same thing after all.

This has been and will always be a problem with any blacklisting solution. Blacklists are only useful when you have domains that are persistent.

Yes. But in such a scenario (implemented by cost or other means)
then whitelist become _more_ expensive to maintain than
blacklist because as you said above there are 'massively
more non-spammer than spammer', at least for servers with
significant volume/number of users.

Plus the fact that blacklists are not very useful today does
not eliminate their relevance to discuss them in scenarios that
can make them more effective.

Thanks

jean