Re: [Asrg] Bogus News Article - FTC's do-not-call registry email blocked by Yahoo

2003-06-30 19:12:00
At 01:57 AM 7/1/2003 +0000, John R. Levine wrote:

> Essentially all spam at Yahoo (using Spam Guard) is blocked and
> placed into a bulk mail folder. Therefore, there>is no distinction
> between saying that a mail message was "placed in the bulk mail
> folder" or "blocked by spam filters" ...

I checked back with my source, and he confirms that although the
details of Yahoo's spam filters are (not surprisingly) confidential,
it's clear that like everyone else they both sidestream some mail into
bulk mail folders and reject some mail outright.  See, for example,
their page http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/spam/spam-17.html at
which gives mailers advice to keep their mail from being rejected or
sidestreamed.

Thank you for pointing out the difference between blocking/rejection and moving email to bulk folders. This is an important distinction that must be kept in mind for the future.

In any event, there's no shame in making the occasional mistake, so
I'm not going to beat this particular horse any more.  But please,
let's try not to leap to conclusions in the future.

The conclusion was not mine but rather Wired's based on a NetFrameworks's report. I personally was not aware that Yahoo rejects email outright, I though that they put ALL spam into the bulk folder.

Yakov