[Asrg] DRIP

2003-07-01 00:03:55
   The Designated Relays Inquiry Protocol, DRIP, is a method for domain
   name owners to specify the IP addresses that are authorized to relay
   mail as a domain name in the SMTP HELO and EHLO commands. The
   protocol provides a method for server MTAs to reject SMTP connections
   from IP addresses not authorized to use the domain name given in the
   SMTP HELO and EHLO commands.

The big intrinsic flaw I see in that one is that the person who benefits the
most from the effort expended by the domain name owner is NOT the domain name
owner... which will tend to leave a lot of those domain names undefined under
DRIP.

One of the other nice things about my proposal is that the person who benefits
from the work done developing their permission list is the person defining
it...
giving them a significant motivation to do whatever is necessary to reduce
their
incoming spam load.  (And as they work on the list, the benefits of doing so
are
IMMEDIATE and obvious to them).

I think that kind of near-instantaneous positive feedback is important for
people to go to the effort of tuning their permissions lists.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.