6. Solutions - Replacing SMTP - GIEIS (was Re: [Asrg] Re: 'GIEIS' - The Fourth Response (Esa Laitinen))

2003-07-03 19:33:37
Mr. McCarron,

Case in point:

On July 1st EU countries started charging VAT taxes on most digital transactions performed by non-EU companies to EU consumers. EU laws seem to apply here to companies outside the jurisdiction of the EU.

At 03:59 PM 7/3/2003 +0000, Mark McCarron wrote:

This post refers to the 'GIEIS' system.  This can be viewed at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/giza.necropolis

Esa, I will be in Tampere in two weeks time to discuss 'GIEIS' with potential buyers. ;-)

It may be illegal to port scan from Finland, however, it is not illegal to port scan from outside of Finland. Finland's laws only apply within its own legal jurisdiction. I can quite legally conducts scans from other countries.

Mark McCarron.

Message: 18
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 09:13:38 +0300
From: Esa Laitinen <esa(_at_)laitinen(_dot_)org>
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] 'GIEIS' - The Fourth Response

This is a MIME-formatted message.  If you see this text it means that your
E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

--=_laitinen.org-10615-1057212818-0001-2

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 03:28:51AM +0000, Mark McCarron wrote:
> It is worth addressing.  A port scan only tests for basic security and=20
> access to a system.  It is hardly a physical assault, also, coming from a=
=20
> trusted domain everyone would be quite aware it was not a breach attempt =
on=20
> their systems.  Since these scans would be sent clear text across the web=
=20
> anyone with a little knowledge could analyse them.  If there was anything=
=20
> suspisious it would be repoted instantly all over the world.

Nevertheless port scanning is illegal in some parts of the world, with=20
convictions to back the claim (decision of Finnish Supreme Court, case=20
number KKO:2003:36).

Welcome to Finland after you've started your large scale scanning ;-)