RE: [Asrg] My apologies to this list

2003-07-04 13:54:32
Thankyou for your comments. My comments are in the body of the message below. This post refers to the 'GIEIS' system currently at version 0.003. An update was carried out on the next 4th July 2003. Datails of the 'CAA' have be released as well as details regarding the 'CICFS' filtration system. 'GIEIS' has an extensive list of systems to be added and they will appear as soon as the documentation can be written.

The 'GIEIS' system can be viewed here at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/giza.necropolis

Mark McCarron.

Message: 23
From: "Hondin de Goot" <hondin(_dot_)degoot(_at_)programmer(_dot_)net>
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:14:57 -0500
Subject: [Asrg] My apologies to this list

Mark's Response:

About time.

Thankyou for your forbearance regarding my two or three
postings here recently.  By way of excuse, I would like
to explain my reasons for making them.

Mark's Response:

About time too.

I was appalled when I saw the flood of energy and serious
engagement with Carron's outright nonsense that a number
people I know to be excellent network engineers put into
carefully reasoned responses when he started posting to
the RIPE anti-spam wg list, but not quite as appalled as
I was at seeing how quickly he could then construct
apparently meaningful - although, in fact, equally
nonsensical - extensions to his buzzword edifice out
of the quite undigested information he was thereby
obtaining, mainly because it seemed to me that that
ability could easily introduce, at this specific time,
serious political impediments to at least some serious
considerations of rational technical solutions.

Mark's Response:

If anyone can translate this for me into the English language then I would care to respond.

With the best will in the world it is not possible to
describe the majority of today's politicians and leading
citizens, etc, as being particularly technically literate.
Equally, it is difficult to avoid the concluion that they
spend a lot of time dealing with their various impossible
tasks by clutching at straws.

Mark's Response:

He's off for a wander again.:)

Because of our unfortunate, species-wide inability to
perceive exponential trends until they resemble onrushing
locomotives rather more than they resemble trends, now is
the time when effecting solutions to the problem of spam
is being rapidly co-opted into the sphere of the political
rather than the technical.  At such times, fraudsters of
all varieties, from simple intellectual on up (or down,
depending on your attitude to filthy lucre), are far more
easily able to grab the attention of besieged legislators
and others than in less stressful times, and some of them
have the energy to attempt it.  That they can sometimes
succeed is evidenced by the numerous occasions when the
US Congress (say) has been considering three or even four
bills, each sponsored by different representatives acting,
without personal comprehension of the subject, on "expert
advice", some of it clearly received from highly suspect
"experts", all addressing the same technological matter.
And in such cases, those "experts" who can ALSO cloak
their presentations in an ambience of business, legal
and political attitudes and buzzwords (however shakily
deployed) are often able to command a hearing that their
technical theses alone should not objectively afford them.
Of course there are many more examples of this than just
those that can be found in the annals of the US Congress.
The political process, even in the most disciplined of
assemblies, is a highly fractured and unpredictable one,
and only seldom a broad clear path to a rational outcome.

Mark's Response:

You seem to be very paranoid about a central agency. Maybe you do not realise I am from Ireland??? What global agenda do the Irish have??? Drinking, parties, being overly socialable???? Could you picture the Irish Police force operating black helecopters or stealth operations??? I think we only have 10 aircraft in our military. I can't get this image of a little Garda (Irish Police) officer standing at the bottom of some mountain in Donegal somewhere and suddenly the whole mountain open ups to reveal a vast military complex. :)

From that point of view and from a perception that there
might not be much time to spare, I decided to try to provoke
Mr Carron into revealing the extraordinary paucity of his
understanding of the Internet in relation to spam or
anything else (even my cat, just from sleeping on top
of the monitor, has managed to pick up rather more :)
to as wide an range of genuine experts whose opinion was
likely to be canvassed in various quarters as possible:
it is by no means clear that bodies such as even the IETF
have any assured authority in the midst of mass political
hysteria, but the opinions of many of those associated with
it will certainly be sought on an individual basis.

Mark's Response:

It must be noted that a large percentage of those posting opposition to 'GIEIS' have self-motovated interests. I have not seen a single post yet that demonstrates a clear and descriptive method of bypassing 'GIEIS'. This is the problem, 'GIEIS' cannot be bypassed. As you pointed out, I am surrounded by 'Genuine Experts', very few of them can understand 'GIEIS' and for those that do grasp it realise it poses the single largest threat ever against digital cert. authorities, anti-virus software companies, anti-spam filtration software companies, etc. Not to mention spammers themselves. As this is an open forum, the same people could have several different accounts attempting to bolster opinion.

Now that he has, in short order, told people like Phillip
Hallam-Baker that they will need to acquire an understanding
of networking technology in order to appreciate his ideas,
implied that engineers of the calibre of Esa Laitinen are
basically irrelevant Finns, dissed the elegant simplicity
of Steven Siirila's inputs, and much, much more (including
discomforting many with his PNW approach to "intellectual
property"), all in a persisting archive that would be hard
to assert had subsequently been hacked to discredit him,
I'm satisfied he has been sufficiently "outed" (to borrow
a technical term from another discipline) and will return
to my life of alternately dozing and eating, as before.

Mark's Response:

The nature of the 'GIEIS' architecture is complicated and is not only based on a deep understanding of networks, but of the architecture of programming as well. This maybe why some are haing problems with the security implementations of 'GIEIS'. To appreciate 'GIEIS' fully you need to be a hacker/spammer and if you are one, well, you won't really appreciate it.

As an aside, and on the subject of archives, it has been
pointed out to me that the full perspicacity of Carron's
mathematical, chemical and physics insights (which will be
clear to many reading here) can be found in the archive at
http://web.archive.org/web/20000824014035/http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/bp/16/giza.htm.
The same material from his original ntlworld website is
also available on web.archive.org, but in a rather less
compact and easily read format.  I suspect that those
reading here will be rather less able to assess the
egyptological quality of his thought, but it seems
likely that a rough guess would serve as well.  (The URL
quoted above may need some manual concatenation to work).

Mark's Response:

If you want to discuss Egyptology then come to the Atlantis Rising boards and give us your insights. Personally, I think when its scientifically established that vases from Persian grave sites (Before Christ) are batteries that give off a 1.5 Volt charge for 14 days some questions should be asked. Or maybe when out of 80 or so pyramids found not a single body has been found in one. How about carbon datings dating the Great Pyramid to at least a thousand years before hand?

Maybe the most surprising is the medical tests done with pyramids on mice, by the Russian Science Academy. A virus was introduced into two sets of mice and one was housed in a pyramid the others were not. The ones housed in the pyramid has a survival rate of 60% compared to those outside with a rate of 15%.

With facts like this, the area is worth re-examining.

Finally, I would like to make a point about a core value
(in the sense of its being extremely valuable to users)
of the original design of the Internet: that of end-to-end
connectivity.  In terms of SMTP, that includes the ability
to operate a server.  However much use of the Internet has
grown by numbers of hosts, users are users and what was of
value to them 20 years ago generally remains of value to
their successors today.  Fairly recently I helped set up
some mail servers for the associates of a tiny charity
which, given the social value and overall cost of its
work, is grossly under funded (how unusual).  Because of
the extreme sensitivity of much of their communication
in terms of client confidence and the reluctance of non
technical persons to deploy anything in the way of
cryptography, the small but significant security
enhancement that direct delivery of some communications
to their own servers, rather than to their ISPs' disk
based mail spools, can provide is of great value (and I'm
sure that theirs is not an especially unusual case, in
almost any context - personal, political, small business
or institutional).  In my opinion, any solution would be
less than optimal if it involved sacrificing too much more
of the already much-diluted ability to establish end-to-end
connections or priced low budget MTAs out of existence
(although I see absolutely no problems with punitively
coercing them into compliance).

Mark's Response:

With 'GIEIS' the end-to-end connectivity would remain. 'GIEIS' is a protocol change, a software solution. There will be no mass movement of servers, just software updates. Touching story, however, all communications are routed to her through her ISP and therefore are spooled to disk. The Internet is a basic star topology from client to Internet gateway, from that point it becomes a web structure.

This has been the first time in a decade or more that I
have posted to a public forum and the first time I have
ever done so using a pseudonym (it means "dog in the
gutter" and is to be seen on many signs throughout
Holland and parts of Belgium - often with a graphic
resembling Mr Carron's musings - as an injunction to
urban animal lovers).  It's been more fun than I care
to admit being vicariously rude to Mr Carron, and sorry
about the pseudonym: loony-kook filter and all....  I'll
what's that they say about "third time luc

Mark's Response:

I would well believe it and understand why it has been so long. Why the pseudonym? Ah, Belgium, that explains everything now... Still see you haven't post anything about how to bypass 'GIEIS' or that you even understand how it works.

Mark McCarron
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/giza.necropolis