RE: [Asrg] 2. - Spam Characterization - Possible Measurements

2003-07-06 10:09:28
My responses are in the body of the message below.

Version 0.005 - Updated 6th July 2003

GIEIS - Global ISP Email Identity System - The Ultimate Anti-Spam System
a.k.a. - The Digital Reaper

\xA9 Including intellectual copyright, Mark McCarron 2003, All rights reserved.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/giza.necropolis

Mark McCarron.

--__--__--

Message: 4
From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com>
To: "'Paul Judge'" <paul(_dot_)judge(_at_)ciphertrust(_dot_)com>,
        "'Dave Crocker'"
         <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
Cc: "'Barry Shein'" <bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com>,
        "'Yakov Shafranovich'"
         <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com>,
        "'asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org'" <asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Subject: RE: [Asrg] 2. - Spam Characterization - Possible Measurements (wa
         s :  RE: Two ways to look at spam)
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 19:08:36 -0700

I think it might be unreasonable to expect a particularly accurate
measurement of spam characteristics. There are a lot of potential biases in
any sample that is constructed.

However I think we could hope to create a series of measurements that show
long term trends in various characteristics. So while a measurement of the
proportion of spam that is 419 scams is going to be heavily biased by the
means used for measurement a series of measurements taken in the same way
could provide highly accurate trending.

I think it will be very useful to have measurements that allow the
effectiveness of anti-spam measures to be judged as they are implemented.

Mark's Response:

Another post designed to go round in circles. This has been covered SOOOOO many times. Move on.

Mark McCarron.