Re: [Asrg] Forged Paths...

2003-07-09 08:25:03

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Art Pollard wrote:

One of the big issues when it comes to spam is tracing where the message
has originated from.  Of course, this is complicated when people forge
headers to try to obfuscate the origin of the e-mail.

What I propose is this:

During each jump on the path that the e-mail takes to arrive to the sender,
each interim mail server digitally signs the path.

Can I ask you to elaborate on how this is usefull? Presumably the spammer
doesn't sign the path, or at least his signature isn't usefull. If he
uses an open relay that does sign the path, I can trace back only
as far as the open relay, which I can already do using the connection
address. Is the idea that a receiving MTA might discriminate among
messages from an open relay, depending upon the sources of the message?
That is, an MTA might accept messages from an open relay if the source
was signed by a legitimate mailer? Is that an important capability?

Daniel Feenberg