[Asrg] Consent tokens

2003-07-09 10:07:33
The consent token traveling with the email seems to be somewhat
problematic. It would have to prevent middlemen attacks and for that to
happen the token would need to encode the source of the email message. I
believe that is a problem.  For instance I have two email clients with
two different email addresses - one being the company I work at and the
other being my personal account. Now if the token includes the
originating address I would have to have two different tokens. I would
think we would want a single token regardless of where I am and whatever
address I use and that would make a lot of work. But this single token
would make it susceptible to middleman attacks.

I think there are a *lot* of problems with the consent token approach,
including
the fact that you may wish to revoke an already-issued consent token.  That
revocation is VERY unlikely to be system-wide;  you're only likely to revoke
its
use by some selected rogue user.

Since you CANNOT accept any consent token at face value, but basically MUST
check to see if it's still valid and accepted (FROM the originating user), I
don't really see that the token adds much of anything that you can't get from
the originating user's E-mail address (which thus works FINE as the token all
by
itself, AND eliminates the need for the sending end to do ANYTHING different
from what they do for anybody else).

In the receiver side screening mechanism, the second idea, I keep track
of addresses that I am willing to accept. As noted earlier very little
mail is sent through multiple MTA's (though I can tell you of one case
that it will happen!). This is patently more simple. I both cases - the
token and screening - I need to keep something to note who to allow
through. But in the former instance the sender needs to do something as
well. Seems like more work.

Absolutely.  And some senders (large mailing lists for instance) are highly
unlikely to want to adapt their behavior to correspond to the unique (and
possibly even contradictory) demands of each of possibly hundreds of thousands
of subscribers/community members.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.