RE: [Asrg] Slowing down spammers - thoughts?

2003-07-11 09:41:53
I don't know how you define "slowing down" but we've effectively
deployed a technology at http://www.titankey.com using early verions of
the "Recipient-Defined Consent" approach that is slowing bubbling
through this group.   Users can define one or more email addresses and a
policy (i.e. Consent) of how that email address can be used. This policy
may include Challenge/Response, at the user's option.    Users then use
these email addresses as they see fit.

If an email address is not used according to the policy defined by the
user, The Titan Key Servers respond with a 550 No Such User before the
DATA command. This effectively solves the spam bandwidth problem
(contents are never transmitted) as well as rendering the recipient
email address as useless.  In addition, some (not all) bulk-emailers
stop sending bulk email after receiving the 550 which has the desireable
side-effect of reducing spam attackes over time, hence the "slowing
down" you asked about.

I've posted detailed 3 spreadsheets to this group before that have shown
the rate of "spam attacks" over time.  One of them shows an actual
decrease in spam attacks over time. The 2 others show a slight increase.
I'd love to see how this slight increase compares w/ the average
Internet-wide increase in spam as I'd be willing to bet $1 that we have
in fact "slowed down" spammers when you compare the grown of spam
attacks to these test accounts vs. the growth of spam attacks overall.

Spreadsheets are at:

http://www.titankey.com/misc/logs/logLes.xls
http://www.titankey.com/misc/logs/logScot.xls
http://www.titankey.com/misc/logs/logPK.xls

Have fun.

Peter Kay, President
TitanKey Software
The only technology that stops spam BEFORE it's even sent