Re: [Asrg] 0.General - News Article - NYT Reports Porn Spam Hijacking Network

2003-07-16 01:30:42

So you're proposing that ISPs be required to run something like
SpamAssassin on all *outgoing* e-mail, and bounce e-mail back at the
user if it looks like spam?

This is a real live issue for providers of (for instance) free webmail
services. I'm familiar with a situation where the admin overhead of
investigating and terminating accounts following abuse allegations is
making this kind of outbound filtering look very attractive. I realise that
free webmail is a special case, but it's clear that the volume limits
imposed by many such providers are a step along this road.

I see a problem with that--will users accept it, or will they take
their money elsewhere? I know that when *I* send an e-mail, I expect it
to be sent--if my ISP bounces it back because they don't like the
content, it's time for me to find another ISP.

Most (if not all) ISP have AUP which prohibit the use of their systems for
sending spam. I suspect that if a customer had a lot of trouble with
outbound content filtering it would be because either;
(a) their ISP does filtering badly - in which case you're right, the
customer would walk, or (b) the customer *is* a spammer.

I believe that it is in the long-term interests of ISP to keep spammers off
their networks. The consequences of blacklisting on legitimate customers
can support arguments for outbound filtering.

I don't see how you'd "require" ISP to use this, perhaps you might choose
to whitelist ISP who assert that they do.