RE: [Asrg] 3. Requirements - Must Address Issue of Hijacked Compu ters

2003-07-24 01:32:03

-----Original Message-----
From: Yakov Shafranovich [mailto:research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com]

---------snip-----------
2.10 Single Solution

  The proposal SHOULD provide a comprehensive solution that
  impacts the greatest number of problems caused by [spam], and
  usable or accessible by the greatest number of MTS users.
---------snip-----------

There are many "partial" proposals that appear which can be
combined to
produce something effective. However, how will we deal with
such "partial"
solutions? Is the requirements document addressing only
"single" proposals
and if so, what should we do about partial ones?

This is one piece in the current draft of the requirements that needs to be
changed. Systems focused on controlling certain portions of the spam problem
are more likely than a comprehensive proposal. The charter states that the
ASRG will investigate "a framework that allows different systems to be
plugged in to provide different pieces of the solution." This is very
central to the consent framework that we have been discussing. A
well-presented system states some well-defined scope. The evaluation allows
us to understand how well it achieves its specific goals and then understand
how it fits in the overall framework alongside other solutions.

I provided this as feedback directly to the authors off-list in May. To get
others' opinion on my feedback and to spark continued discussion of the
current draft of the req's doc, I'll forward to the list the emails that I
sent off-list in May and June.