[Asrg] 0. General - posting format and filtering

2003-07-28 10:43:12
Just various FYI observations...

Over the weekend, I finally added [simple] "whitelist" and "blacklist"
capabilities to my personal mail filtering system.

This still falls, FWIW, short of my proposed 'permissions list' capabilities,
but it's a step in the right direction at least.

--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>

One interesting thing I noted as I went through much of the "suspense" E-mail
that had accumulated over the last few weeks (and based primarily on content
filtering) is that numerous of my ASRG digests had been routed as "suspect
spam"
due to Dave's sig file (the mail filtering system content filter found his
telephone and fax numbers and decided that they looked like "bogus HTML
tags"...
which, of course, they are!).

I wonder if I should refine that particular criteria to say that only 'some
number' of such bogus tags in a given e-mail ought to trigger the "it's
probably
spam!" determination...?  Anybody with any ideas on that topic?

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.