RE: [Asrg] Trustic anti-spam system closes down because it doesn 't work

2003-08-06 10:43:01

There are over 400 DNSBLs that *I* know about. It would be completely
impossible for it to happen, even ONCE on the vast majority of them.
The criteria for listing on most lists are yes/no bits, such as "is
it an open relay?", "is it an open proxy?", "is it a dynamically
assigned IP address?", "is the IP space in the USA?", "is the IP
address in China?"... "does this mailing list do confirmations?".

Some lists are based on empirical criteria. But the lists that are usually
used for blocking mail and result in problems are based on complaint
reports.

Empirical lists have also been abused - see the ORBS saga.

In May, your argument for the demise of DNSBLs was that the root
servers could be attacked because someone could joe them and get them
listed on a DNSBL, now it's censorship of the political lists.
Neither have any basis in reality.

No the argument was that blacklist proceedures are so sloppy that many have
blacklisted IP addresses that could not possibly be spam addresses.

If you know how to send email FROM a multicast address I would love to hear
it.

Perhaps you could try responding to the arguments I made rather than putting
out marketting spin and FUD.