RE: 7. Best Practices (was RE: [Asrg] Trustic anti-spam system closes down because it doesn 't work)

2003-08-06 11:39:34
At 02:21 PM 8/6/2003, Bob Wyman wrote:
Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
> Within a consent framework, the individual administrator
> or developer would choose which sources of information to rely on.
        It should be recognized that if someone other than the actual
recipient of mail is making the decisions about how mail is to be
filtered, then there exists a possibility for inappropriate filtering of
messages (or censorship). Thus, I'm somewhat concerned when you suggest
it is "admistrator or developer" who would choose what "sources of
information" to rely on. I believe the individual should always be
provided a means to override or block any such third party decisions
about what they should be seeing.

Allow me to correct myself:

"Within the consent framework, the individual administrator, developer and END-USER would choose which sources of information to rely on"

        Merely giving choice to users doesn't actually solve the
problem. I can imagine, for instance, a religious, political or business
leader who insists that all of his followers/employees and their
families must use a particular "rating service" in order to protect them
from "inappropriate" messages. This would be a case where external
pressures are put to bear to effectively remove the individual's choice
by means of forcing them to "choose" according to the dictates of a
third party.

Consent policies of administrators and the user's organization do affect the end-user, and the end-user may not always have the ability to change their policies. While each end-user may define his or her own consent policy, upstream providers such as the user's organization, his ISP, his ISP's ISP, etc. can restrict those policies based on their own. Even entire countries such as China or Saudi Arabia can have a country-wide consent policy affecting all end-users.

Giving the end-user a choice whenever possible is an interesting idea. Where would be the correct place to state it: consent framework, requirements document or elsewhere?