RE: [Asrg] RE: 2.a.1 Analysis of Actual Spam Data - Titan Key reduces spam attacks

2003-08-06 21:22:34
At 09:19 PM 8/6/2003, Terry Sullivan wrote:
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 20:11:23 -0400, Elric Pedder wrote:

>How do you arrive at the "minimum of 4 additional automated
>emails" ?  If a 550 response is returned, a maximum of one
>automated e-mail is generated.  (Unless I'm missing something.)

As you pointed out later in your reply, each faux-550 response must
be followed by an automated email message, addressed to
whatever-the-return-address was.  That autoresponder message,
intended to avoid (well, diminish) false positives, outlines the
"procedure" necessary to actually send email to the address.  (Mea
cupla, in the heat of the moment, I counted server responses as
messages, and I shouldn't have.)  Still, for each hijacked return
address, the sheer number of automated messages being passes around
(and the corresponding burden on shared resources) is not diminished;
at best, it is merely redirected.

Titankey's system is also a C/R system in addition to the 550s. Greylisting is a proposal that floated earlier on the list, which is similar. It issues 445 and waits for the server to retry, but does not send out automated messages.

As mentioned before, all C/R system have the detriment of extra automated email messages passed around. Its a disadvantage of C/R, but the benefits may outweigh it.