Re: [Asrg] 2.a Spam Measurements: data available on Directory Harvesting Attacks (DHAs)

2003-08-06 21:27:29
At 11:50 PM 8/6/2003, Peter Kay wrote:
Does any know of good resources that describe any details of DHAs? The
stuff I was able to find was cursory and full of "marketing messages".
Other than the big picture of what DHAs are, I'd like to know more about
them along the lines of what the connection signatures look like, for
example:

A. connect once, then loop through multple "rcpt to"

B. Connect, harvest only a few, disconnect, then reconnect and do it
again

C. connect, then loop on: harvest 1 address, reset session, .

D. connect, harvest a few, disconnect, change IPs, loop.

E. etc.

If anyone can contribute I'll volunteer to collect the data and submit
to the chair for inclusion.

Someone mentioned this before, do a search on gmane.org on the list archive. Also, I believe that Brightmail, Postini, SpamArchive and others offered data if needed on spam, and we should ask them. Do we have a liason relationship setup with those entities?

Yakov