Re: [Asrg] 7. Best Practices - DNSBLs - Article

2003-08-12 13:05:35
At 04:02 PM 8/12/2003, Chris Lewis wrote:
Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

The problem is that mail administrators manage to evaluate blacklists based on their effectiveness not their reputation. This would lead to the blacklists which block the most IPs, being the most effective. However, there is no evaluation done on whether any innocent email is being blocked as well.

That's a rather extreme assertion. And wrong. We certainly do this evaluation. Continuously. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to tell you that the CBL blocks 78% of all of our spam, and has a .004% "whitelist rate" (meaning: we've had to whitelist .004% of the total CBL blocks that there would be).

There are a number of web sites carrying effectiveness/FP comparisons.

Mea Culpa. Is there any data out there that can tell us what percentage of sites actually do these types of evaluations?

Yakov