6. Proposals for solutions - Use of encryption (was RE: [Asrg] E ncryption technologies and SPAM)

2003-08-13 13:03:37

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Willey [mailto:richard_willey(_at_)symantec(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 3:39 PM
To: C Wegrzyn
Cc: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Encryption technologies and SPAM

I don't see why we need to tie encryption and spam control
together. I
don't even see the first claim you make - why does encryption limit
spam? Are you proposing we send only encrypted email?

Chuck Wegrzyn

There have been a number of proposals on this list that
suggest that the
best way to limit SPAM is raise the cost of transmitting an
email.  In
some cases these proposals are based on a micropayment scheme.  Other
systems such as HashCash force the sender to "send" CPU cycles.  I am
simply suggesting that since the act of encryption costs CPU
cycles, an
encryption system might fulfill many of the same design
principles as a
system like Hashcash, while, at the same time providing a
privacy service.

Actually, this topic has been discussed many times on the list. Please see
the summary of mailing list discussions:
http://www.elan.net/~william/asrg/index.htm . Specifically, see section
6.I.C-E and 6.II.

Also, just a reminder to everyone that there are posting guidelines for the
mailing list: http://www.irtf.org/asrg/asrg_mailing_list_information.htm.
Use of the appropriate subjects helps make discussions easier to follow and
organize.