RE: [Asrg] RE: 2.a.1 Analysis of Actual Spam Data - Titan Key re duces spam attacks

2003-08-14 14:03:08
From: Brad Knowles [mailto:brad(_dot_)knowles(_at_)skynet(_dot_)be]

      Do you have any idea what kind of work is required as a
result of
"owning" an e-mail address of this sort?

We'll start w/ Tom's plan. Each volunteer "owns" a given email address.
Each email address will have certain profile. The owner (or should we be
cute and say "adopter") uses that email per the profile outlined for
that specific email.

First step, we publish all the emails on enough Web sites to get them
into spammer databases.

Second step, we view/open/subscribe the spam that starts coming into
these emails

=== end result here is that we should have successfully seeded these
emails with reasonable spam quantities

Third step, each adopter begins attempting to cut down spam using their
profile's pre-assigned techniques.

Fourth step. Project ends and data is analyzed

So, what this means specifically for each volunteer is that they will
have to:

- Accept/download email
- Go through that email in such a way that any html tags are exposed to
spammers, letting them know this is a real address
- Attempting to unsubscribe to the spam based on the volunteer profile