[Asrg] 2. Spam Analysis - Vectors

2003-08-21 16:08:01
There is an interesting story from Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=3315668) about the possible motive behind Sobig.F virus - spam. Here are some quotes:

----------snip---------
Sobig.F drops software onto infected Windows computers that open them to be used later for distributing Internet spam -- unwanted e-mails and product promotions, experts said. It also represents a new trend in converging e-mail spamming and virus software writing, they said.

"We believe (Sobig.F) has been written by a spammer or spammers" looking for ways to get past spam filters, said Mikko Hypponen, manager of anti-virus research for Finnish security firm F-Secure. "For once, we have a clear motive for a virus -- money."