Re: [Asrg] MXs Used As Authentication - Why RMX?

2003-08-26 12:00:45
At 12:21 PM -0400 2003/08/25, Alan DeKok wrote:

   This was discussed earlier on the list.  "outgoing" MX records mean
 that some current network behaviours may change.  Mailing lists may
 still exist, but their implementations may change.

        I'm sorry.  I just don't see where this is feasible.

                                                     Other than
 deployment, I don't see this as much of a problem.

        "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, what did you think of the play?"

   How does the recipient of that email establish a consent framework
 for communication with you?  How does he separate your traffic from
 the "forged spam" traffic?

This is a good question. This is something that would have to be resolved by the people who are proponents of this solution.

        I don't see this sort of solution being feasible.  The legitimate
 third-party relay problem is a tough one to solve.

   How does the recipient distinguish "legitimate" third-party relays
 from "illegitimate" ones?

See above. I don't have any answers. I can say that I think this will be one of the more difficult problems that will have to be resolved, in order for this kind of proposal to succeed.

   I'm not opposed to legitimate third-party relaying.  But it's my
 perogative as a recipient to discard any email I choose.

        Sure.  You can throw away your e-mail any way you want.

However, before you can expect that a significant number of people will adopt this kind of system (thus allowing you to use it to filter your mail), the problem of legitimate third-party relay will have to be solved. People will not want to use any system that has such a serious problem with collateral damage.

                                                           Unverifiable
 third-party relaying is a large part of my spam, and costs me time and
 money.

Then you should set up filters now that require that the envelope sender address matches the domain portion of the reverse DNS for the sending MTA. Start throwing away as much e-mail as you possibly can, as soon as you possibly can.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will continue to work to try to find a system that would be feasible to recommend to the rest of the people in the world.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad(_dot_)knowles(_at_)skynet(_dot_)be>