7. Best Current Practices (was Re: [Asrg] 0. General - Administrative - for M. Wild)

2003-08-29 01:25:43
At 04:29 PM 8/28/2003, Brad Knowles wrote:
At 10:54 AM -0400 2003/08/28, Richard Rognlie wrote:

 And according to RFC2821, putting an IP as the HELO *IS* valid.
 it is supposed to be an FQDN or an IP (in those cases where a machine
 has no name [e.g. a dynamic dialup IP])  However, I don't accept
 mail from HELO ip.ad.re.ss unless it's a LOCAL IP.

Since RFC2821 explicitly prohibits you from checking the domain literal claimed in EHLO/HELO and rejecting the message if the reverse DNS doesn't match that domain, then I submit that your tests are at least violating the spirit of RFC2821 in a similar manner.

But this is something that needs to be put in an updated BCP. We should probably also talk to the appropriate IETF group about an update/clarification of RFC2821 to be more explicit on these issues.

If you need to get in touch with the IETF, please let Paul or me know so we can push it on to the IETF through the regular channels.

Yakov