Re: [Asrg] 0. General - Summary of spam filtering effectiveness on slashdot

2003-08-30 08:52:15
At 03:18 PM 8/29/2003 -1000, Peter Kay wrote:
Gentlemen, this the slashdot quote below is suitable for framing.  And
if you can read it without getting offended, you can only appreciate the
clarity and truth of what is being said.

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=76224&cid=6801992

Recopied below for your convenience:

There's nothing new here - Same old arguments in a different form. For now, filtering is an interim solution that is better than the alternatives... and it will never go away but it will get better. (_any_ mechanism that allows someone to chose which messages will be sent/received and which will not is inherently a filter) As the technology of the Internet evolves, eventually filtering will be on a par with search engines = a device to select the data you need/want from an unending sea of available data.

As far as legislation goes, we don't need more than we have and most current proposals for it are "a cure worse than the disease". What we do need are security mechanisms in place on the 'net that prevent and respond to the abuse that is now rampant. That done, the laws that make it illegal to break into a computer system will suffice for prosecution (because they will become enforceable), and the network itself will be a deterrent to malware & spam by automatically forcing the disconnection of the abusers no matter where they enter the 'net. This should be our goal, with a sound consent management mechanism to act as the steering wheel.

Sure, not everybody will implement secure technologies and practices - at first almost nobody will, but in the end, not to sound heartless, those that do not will deserve the abuse they signed up for... sadly we can't stop that.

_M