[Asrg] 2. Analysis and Characterization. Insight from a bulk mailer neighbor.

2003-09-02 22:59:41
I was talking today with my neighbor who sends an unsolicited mailing list.
He has a different outlook on the whole issue of email and I think I understand some of his point of view.

Here is some info about his operation that i thought might be interesting.

his adderss list started out with around 2400 addresses collected from websites and print publications that appear to belong to people active in the subject of the mailings. (hand picked, and extremely low volume compared to others who send millions of emails)

has sent out 4 mailings over the last few months. (again, low volume)

he manually removes all bounced addresses, and responds to every remove request. (a bounce is the same as an unsubscribe, except when contact instructions are given)

He lost around 400 addresses on his first mailing because of invalid addresses.
he loses around 10-20 addresses per mailing due to black lists.

He has received a few C/R messages which he responded to in order to send his mailing.

Based on the conversations I have had with him on the subject, he is not a "Spammer" but could be described as someone trying to communicate with a large number of unknown people. His volume is low enough that he can be personaly involved with any problems that crop up with his mailing.

He may join the list to answer questions and present his perspective, or I can just forward questions and answers to him.

He is helping me with a Choicelist prototype.

I wonder how many other people send lists like this, and how big a player that group is in the scheme of things.

John Fenley
www.Choicelist.com