Re: [Asrg] 2a. Analysis - Developer Perspective

2003-09-12 14:34:31
Eric Dean wrote:

What do you suggest?

To me, we know what the problem is - the SMTP specification!  We

change it

and the problem is essentially solved!

From (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-spam-techconsider-02.txt):

<snip>

     The idea of replacing SMTP is appealing because it
     permits thinking in terms of creating an infrastructure
     that has accountability and restrictions built in.
     Unfortunately an installed base the size of the
     Internet is not likely to make such a change anytime
     soon.  It seems far more likely that successful spam
     control mechanisms will be introduced as increments to
     the existing Internet mail service.

     Moreover, the feature of SMTP that is most responsible
     for spam is the ability to receive mail from strangers.
     Without this feature, there would be no flood of spam,
     but many of the most valuable Internet commercial and
     individual activities would also be impossible.
     Replacing SMTP with a protocol that allows strangers to
     send each other mail would not stop spam any more than
     SMTP-AUTH stopped spam, contrary to insistent claims to
     the contrary, before SMTP-AUTH became widely available
     and used.
<snip>