Re: [Asrg] 8a. Evaluation Model - Technical Considerations Document

2003-09-16 04:28:31
1) I believe the following paragraph in 3.3.5 Filter Rules:

    The idea of replacing SMTP is appealing because it
     permits thinking in terms of creating an infrastructure
     that has accountability and restrictions built in.
     Unfortunately an installed base the size of the
     Internet is not likely to make such a change anytime
     soon.  It seems far more likely that successful spam
     control mechanisms will be introduced as increments to
     the existing Internet mail service.

Seems to me to be out of place.

The statement has nothing to do with filters.  Its more of a upfront general
consideration statement that suggests that proposals that modify the
specifications must be backward compatible.   Proposals which do not allow
for backward compatibility should not be considered.

2) I think this "consideration guideline" should include a suggestion for a
"SMTP Modification Level" that all proposals should indicate such as:

    SERVER COMPATIBILITY

         This proposal complies with ESMTP
         This proposal does not comply with SMTP, ESMTP

    CLIENT COMPATIBILITY

         Requires compliant client
         Does not require compliant client

Or something equivalent (a table?). Many proposals are just server level
changes, some proposals require changes at both the server and client, etc.
This will save vendors a lot of time when exploring which proposals are
worth of consideration.

Hector Santos
WINSERVER "Wildcat! Interactive Net Server"
support: http://www.winserver.com
sales: http://www.santronics.com