Re: [Asrg] 4. Survey of Solutions - Consent Model

In the ultimate scenario where everyone uses some implementation of
this consent framework it would be fine to make no distinction. However
for the purposes of interoperability with non-compliant systems during
roll-out of the new consent framework

The "new" consent framework is not replacing the current structure of
the Net. It is an ABSTRACT model that allows us to evaluate all anti-spam
proposals.

I understand, all that I meant was that implementations will have to consider
interoperability issues. I take it you feel that interoperability is not
relevant to the model itself, only to specific proposals?

That would make some sense, but we are still proposing a change to current
behaviour in that we have new reasons why messages may not be delivered to
their intended recipient (i.e. lack of consent). Therefore some messages which
would have been delivered under the existing system will not be delivered under
implementations of the consent framework.

Since you say the purpose of the framework is to evaluate anti-spam proposals,
one of the criteria should be the likely impact on existing usage and
interaction between existing users and those who have migrated to consent-based
software. Some of that detail will depend on implementation, but some abstract
ideas are so fundamentally different from the current system that *any*
implementation of them would affect interoperability.

Of course I know there are already many reasons why e-mail may not arrive under
the current open system, such as an invalid recipient e-mail address or a lack
of disk space at the receiver's incoming mail server. So maybe this issue is
less important (to the abstract model) than I first thought.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear your comments about the issue.

it focuses on the giving the receiver power over his
email. However, this would remain running within SMTP as it is today
until SMTP is replaced with something else (if ever). However, since many
people believe the nature of the spam to be tied to the open nature of the
Internet, that would mean that spam will always remain a problem and
consent systems will simply provide the tools for dealing with the
problem on the receiver's side.

Fine by me. Thanks for the clarification...

Andrew