Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Ddos Prevention (was RMX I Never send mail)

2003-09-25 15:47:37
After hearing how sites relevant to the anti-spam effort have been taken down by Ddos attacks, I started thinking about how to prevent this from happening to Choicelist when I get it going (I have been thinking like mad about how to protect it, and am getting close to a finished program layout).

I think I figured it out.

Using Ipv6 the available address space expands amazingly. I could easily have a billion addresses to my self. This would allow me to have a different Ip address for each and every person who could possibly connect to my system. I could assign each authorized user an Ip and port, then if a connection came to a different port on that Ip I could route all traffic to the great bit bucket in the sky. This should reduce the effectiveness of a random Ddos attack against my address space by around 60 thousand times.

If a person connects to the correct Ip, I can demand a 1k password before sending any confirmation of an open connection. This would further reduce the effectiveness of a Ddos to almost Zero because there is no way to know if a packet is consuming resources other than at the connection border, as even a valid connection would not give confirmation unless a valid 1k packet was recieved.

If 1 of the valid ip + port combinations is getting hit, you can just ignore that Ip + port too, and the only user you have cut off from the system is the user who let that info slip.

With a system like this in place, a Ddos attack would have to be EXTREMELY huge in order to effect the end servers. This should prove to be enough of a deterrent that a Ddos attack wouldn't be worth the effort to carry it out.

Just a thought...

John Fenley

Just to Sum up:
Use massive address space to hide from a Ddos attack.
Valid users could still connect.