RE: 6. Proposals - Sender Verification (was Re: [Asrg] Simple wayto verify sender, track mail abusers)

2003-10-01 09:44:36
I starting going through our logs to answer to your below but there is
so much variance for so many different reasons I can't see how some of
the results will tell you anything. I've tried to answer below as best
as I can and where I didn't think it was relevant I explained why.

For example,

1) What percentage (and volume) of challenges are responded?

Huge variance here based on how much spam an account gets. One of mine
gets 40spams/day and no responded challenges, yet another gets 7
spams/week and 2 responses for 28%.

2) What percentage of challenges bounce?

I could see where this might give you something good/consistent as most
challenged emails are spam.

300 challenges. 120 bounces. 0 responses.  Or about 40%

3) What percentage of whitelisted senders are from CR vs.
manual (or from outgoing email, Contacts-import....)

Huge variance. My whitelist started out with 3000 entries. This account
gets 7 spams per week so the CR-sourced whitelist is extremely small.

Another account started with a miniscule whitelist and got most of its
entries from CR challenges and outgoing email.

4) What percentage of spam still gets through..and how/why?

9600 spams sent over 8 months.  6 "spam" came through.  0.042%.  Reason:
(4) nigerian scam people actually do respond to challenges!  And (2)
emails spoofed an address that I (previously) had domain-wide approval
on.

5) What percentage of users (and volume) use the CR system
for anti-spam?  How long to acclimate?

Percentage of what users out of what?

How long to acclimate: about a week.