Re: [Asrg] 0. General - Verisign to suspend SiteFinder wildcards service

2003-10-03 14:27:31
Temporarily Suspend.

"Without so much as a hearing, ICANN today formally asked us to shut down the
Site Finder service. We will accede to the request while we explore all of our
options," said Russell Lewis, executive vice president of VeriSign's Naming
and Directory Services Group. "During the more than two weeks that Site Finder
has been operational, there is no data to indicate that the core operation of
the Domain Name System or stability of the Internet has been adversely
affected. ICANN is using anecdotal and isolated issues to attempt to regulate
non-registry services, but in the interests of further working with the
technical community we will temporarily suspend Site Finder."

See the ICANN correspondence page for the ICANN - Verisign correspondence of
the past two-plus weeks.