Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Source Tracking and Authentication idea (was Re: [Asrg] Source Tracking and Authentication idea)

2003-10-29 18:43:25
Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

[Subject changed as per posting guidelines. Mod.]

Frank McCoy wrote:

This may be an idea that has already been proposed. If so, sorry for the duplication. I've long been of the opinion that spam can be reduced significantly by denying spammers the use of forged domain identities. I believe this idea will go a long way toward that goal without adding much data overhead to typical mail transactions between mail servers or clients. I would appreciate an expert critique.

The objective of this strategy is to reduce or eliminate emails accepted for delivery to an electronic mail user which originate from a fraudulent sender identity. In turn, attribution of unsolicited emails to a valid email sender identity facilitates enforcement of policies to forbid or control the sending of unsolicited emails to third parties.
<snip>

Many RMX-type proposals are geared towards the same goal and accomplish it with less trouble. See:

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.asrg.rmx