Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - DNS-Based - RMX -- After reading the archive

2003-11-03 11:43:45
david nicol <whatever(_at_)davidnicol(_dot_)com> wrote:
I was not able to find my "pet issues" addressed within the
subjects of the nearly 250 archived e-mails, nor any reference
made to the I-D-formatted document I posted links to in early october.

  My wife spent a most of week in the hospital in early October, and
I'm just catching up with work.  I have your draft in my inbox, and
will respond privately.

1: No new DNS records!  Proposals should restrict themselves
   to A records, MX records, PTR records, and (optionally, only!)
   TXT records.  Otherwise, no matter how beautiful they look on
   paper, they won't happen.

  That's pretty much the consensus of the group.

2: Recognize that all proposals have in common that they list
   a set of network addresses under a name of some kind, under
   a domain name that can be used as an administrative border.

  That's also pretty much the consensus of the group.

3: Separate (1) the mechanics of listing from (2) the semantics of what
   is listed and (3) when the list is to be consulted.  These three
   are separate issues.  The first is entirely separable from the
   second two, the second two are intertwined, the third being the
   intention of the second.

  I'm not sure what you mean by that, or what changes you would
suggest making to the documents.

I offered a declaration of a best practice for implementing a
list of machines, and got little criticism of it.

  Please understand this: No one is required to read or comment on
anything in ASRG.  It's strictly volunteer.

 I also got no response from the RFC editor, presumably since the
space the proposal is in is well within DeKok's group, which I was
not invited to participate in.

  The RFC editor does not respond to individual proposals.

  It's not "DeKok's" group, it's "ASRG-RMX".  Please use the correct
name, to keep the discussion professional.

  You were not invited to participate because almost no one was
invited to participate.  The requirements for participation were made
clear in the original post announcing the creation of the sub-group.

  Alan DeKok.