Re: [Asrg] 2a. Analysis - Spam Sample

2003-11-12 14:18:40
Thanks for the comments,

I don't know how many people this was sent to, perhaps someone in the group can check that specific message against Postini or Brighmail. In any case, the IP is blacklisted in SPEWS and SpamCop. A quick search on Google reveals a bunch of web message boards that have the same or similar message, and the email appears in to have been posted on Usenet a bunch of times as well. So far it seems that this message is being posted to public places such as mailing lists and message boards, and not being sent to millions of people.

However, my concern is whether this is a sign that people will begin to attack spam via spam, kind of like a story a while back where a virus was sent to patch a hole explotiable by another virus.

Yakov

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
I think this is a somewhat different case. The Zumabot was designed to
suppress discussion, this seems to be designed to attack.

It is possible that this is another spammer, or it could be some guy with an
inadequately dimensioned sexual characteristic who purchased the product,
was disastisfied and is responding by trying to attack the spammer through
mailing list spam.

This is still spam but it is pretty low tech spam, we don't have evidence
for spam infrastructure. It would be different if this had been sent out to
a couple of million addresses.

                Phill

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan DeKok [mailto:aland(_at_)ox(_dot_)org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 3:06 PM
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] 2a. Analysis - Spam Sample

Yakov Shafranovich <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com> wrote:

Below is a spam sample sent directly to the ASRG list and
intercepted in the admin interface. My question to you is what
purpose does this particular spam serve?

 Emotional satisfaction.

Is this simply a case of two spammers fighting it out, or perhaps an
attack on someone?

 Or crazy people.  It's happened before.

        http://www.jaedworks.com/shoebox/zumabot.html

 Usenet, Turkey, and Armenia...