RE: 8a. Evaluation Model - Proposed Changes to Tech. Cons. Docume nt (was Re: [Asrg] Proposed addition to draft-crocker-spam-techconsider-0 2.txt)

2003-11-16 08:57:31
The basic principle behind hash cash is to prove that some limited resource
has been expended to create a message.

The problem with using CPU power is that it is a variable quantity that is
subject to exponential increase in availability, inflation is a real
problem.

A more satisfactory alternative in my view is to use trusted hardware, then
the limitation on use can be set independent of the processor capability.
You can also have a lot of variance in the application.

There are a couple of problems, first trustworthy hardware is pretty rare
these days, I do not think that we require FIPS 140 class 3 hardening for
spam control because compromise is inevitable and some form of revocation
mechanism is going to be required.

ObDisclaimer: VeriSign has intellectual property claims on this mechanism.
This post does not constitute any grant.

I do not believe that the IP claims would be an issue in practice, even for
open source software since any licensing would be tied to the hardware there
would be no incentive to require licensing of the software component. I do
not anticipate that licensing fees would be substantially different to the
existing cost of issuing embedded device keys. Every new cable modem has
these keys embedded now.

The subtler cost issue is that although the license fee would be modest you
do not want the cost of the device to be modest. As a minimum the device
should cost about $50 or preferably $100. So you really want to embed the
technology into a device such as a firewall, router, cable modem or
motherboard. You do not want spammers being able to defeat the system by
buying $5 smart tokens in bulk.