0. General - Research Survey (was Re: [Asrg] Help with academic research survey.)

2003-11-22 16:59:20
[Subject changed as per posting guidelines. Mod.]

todd(_dot_)shepel(_at_)telus(_dot_)net wrote:
Hi Sandeep,

I truly appreciate your personal effort within the ASWG and the ASWG at large.

Sorry about all the verbage in advance, hopefully some will find my contemplations worthwhile reading; <- this is my theme.

I have been lurking on the IETF ASWG list for a while now. I completed your survey @ https://catalyst.washington.edu/webtools/webq/survey.cgi? owner=sandeep&id=66 . Just some thoughts for future survey enhancements and future discussion on the ASWG board.

WRT your survey, Concent is ALL important; no "if", "and", ior "but". My opinion cannot be swayed on this matter. However, with concent, is a difficult expectation that the content of [0|1|2|#|only the next #|some|most|all|general 3rd party|this particular 3rd party|did I miss any? (literally|figurately)|time dependant combinations of fore-mentioned] future communications will be well received.

                              ?????

This, IMHO, is one of three fatal flaws in the whole SMTP communications model, that most seem to have to live with after volenteering an email address; quite a lot for the simple "submit" function to assume. More importantly, it is this communications model several recognize erroneous and therefore exploitable.

The unfortunate problem becomes one of, if a recepient receives content, at any time, which is not as expected, the original mis-understood concentual expectation, finally becomes recognizably compromised BY THE RECIPIENT ONLY. With compromised trust in communication, the "unsubscribe" function becomes equally questionable.

Both a sender and recepient's wants & needs change with time. It is not reasonable to expect sender & recepients wants and needs to always necessary stay well alined; if those wants and needs were ever aligned? To make things worse, automated senders have no reason to care if alignment is not achieved with this mailout, for this particular [solicited|unsolicited] address; because "they" take a stake in the feedom the possession of an email address MIGHT afford, hoping the next message will entise, the next time, ad infinium. There is nothing to lose, because the system is fundamently broken in "their" favor.

2nd fatal flaw. Isn't SMTP a form of TCP/IP? It seems to me, the problem has become one of SMTP exhibiting better characteristics of UDP. Going back to the stone-age, when someone says "UHGG! Enuf!" or just walks away, true communications cease thereafter. TCP/IP SMTP acknowledges at a system level, "ACK, ya I got the message". Is this consent enough that this communication and future communications are acceptable? Challenge Response, fundamentally has the right idea. Problems are: the sender really has NO motivation to stop communicating to a known entity, only to find better methods by which to continue to appeal/harrass until the objective of the communications are achieved, all the while leaving the burden of continuing to walk away with the recipient, with very limited legal recourse.

In my mind, it would be great, if I could just respond to a message I well received with, "thanx! That stuff you said about Blah was GREAT! Tell me more.", This sets an expectation that future communications are potentially equally well received.

For lack of full message response, or communications to the effect of "UHGG! Enuf", I hold, further messages need necessary cease there after, for this particular content, IP, sender, sender's company or ????. Very very thick trouble. Too sadly, some senders receiving feedback/or no feedback to the effect of [thanx|enuf|subscribe|unsubscribe|blah|*], use this as an opportunity to pro-actively re-tune the next message ad-infinium; welcome to inbox clutter. Thanx, but no thanx.

Please don't try to read my mind for me about what I need to see in my inbox next; If I let you know, I will let you know.

3rd fault or 12 ish. World Economics, Politics, & Law in the New Geo-Spanning Cyber-Fontier. Not enough cowboys, virtual bullets, virtual jurisdiction, super fast & smart horses, too many "public?" posts to nail the next message to, too many fly-by-night cyber-saloons and peasant-educated shoddy-built-pig- barns to hide masked villians in/behind. This needs to change. I wish I had a simple answer for this one. sigh :(

Though their are a number of able-bodied groups finally meeting in their town halls and schools with pitch forks and stones in arms, crafting new devices. This is a very important start! :)

Todd.

Quoting Sandeep Krishnamurthy <sandeep(_at_)u(_dot_)washington(_dot_)edu>:

Hi!

Please take a few minutes to participate in an academic research survey
about Spam.  The survey is at-

https://catalyst.washington.edu/webtools/webq/survey.cgi?owner=sandeep&id=66

[If that URL does not work, please try this one- http://tinyurl.com/vzw4]

Thanks.