Re: [Asrg] 0. General - anti-harvesting (was Inquiry about CallerID Verification)

2003-12-01 05:01:24

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brett Watson" <famous-asrg(_at_)nutters(_dot_)org>
To: "Hector Santos" <winserver(_dot_)support(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com>;
<asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 5:25 AM
Subject: Re: [Asrg] 0. General - anti-harvesting (was Inquiry about CallerID
Verification)

 We need the LMAP-type
authorisation mechanism to act as a first-pass filter to reject blatant
frauds.

Or perhaps I've missed your point. I haven't had the time to fully analyse
all
the messages on this list in the last couple of days.

and I certaintly spent more than I expected this weekend (I hope it is not
all in vain)

A Callerid Verification, inherently includes a DOMAIN lookup.    It has 5
checks:

- DNS MX LOOKUP
- MX IP CONNECTION
- NULL ADDRESS REQUIREMENT  (MAIL FROM: <>)
- RCPT TO:  VALIDATION
[OPTIONAL]
- RCPT TO:  FAKE ADDRESS FOR AN OPEN RELAY TEST

Where does LMAP fit in the above?  Does LMAP required an additional Lookup
(TXT)?

---
Hector Santos, CTO
WINSERVER "Wildcat! Interactive Net Server"
support: http://www.winserver.com
sales: http://www.santronics.com