Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - deprecate all list/bulk mailing and change to RSS

2003-12-01 14:39:24
Seems to be some confusion in this thread about whether the ASRG mandate is to eliminate spam or all use of email for any marketing purpose.

Marketing messages are not by definition = unsolicited email, or commercial email for that matter. Organizations communicate with their members or supporters, publishers communicate with their subscribers. Think Oxfam, Amnesty International, Mother Jones. These recipients have granted consent for ongoing communications, and these organizations want access to the set of marketing features that email provides: to convince their supporters to donate, or participate in the political process, or assist with viral recruitment, or engage in any of the host of other transactions involved in their missions.

My point was simply that if RSS cannot be extended to support a set of standard marketing features, many legitimate email publishers are not going to migrate to it because it won't meet their communication needs. There is also the larger order problem that RSS faces as a pull technology: it does't meet the needs of organizations who rely on push email to alert supporters about urgent issues.

If you don't want to marketed in your inbox by any organization, then don't join any of their email lists. Non-profit organizations communicate with supporters who have opted-in - they generally avoid prospecting via email. They avoid sending unsolicited mail because being stigmatized as spammers adversely impacts the most important assets they have - their brand and their trust relationship with supporters or subscribers.

There is a set of email publishers that are legitimate, and are experiencing extensive collateral damage as a result of spam control efforts. To tell them they should migrate to a distribution mechanism that doesn't support basic marketing techniques because those techniques have been abused by spammers just increases the amount of collateral damage the war against spam imposes on this sector. Email will never be deprecated to support just "two-way communication" if alternative distribution mechanisms fail to provide comparable marketing functionality.

Message: 15
From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 00:12:31 -0500
To: ASRG list <asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Subject: Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - depracate all list/bulk mailing and changeto RSS

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 12:11:59PM -0800, Bill Pease wrote
>> Feature Limits:
>> *Limited to no support for graphically-enhanced content
  That is a good thing.  If I see an interesting headline, I'll click on
the URL, and it'll take me to your super-duper/singing/dancing website.
>> *Limited support for variety of content types typical in newsletter
>>  publishing
  It's a list of URLs.  If you have a high-bandwidth and low-bandwidth
version of your website, offer two URLs.
  Awwwwwwwww.  Guess what... Microsoft is blocking web bugs too...
http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,60781,00.html
>> *No support for various transactions that can be enabled within email
>> (e.g., donation, viral marketing).
want really exciting offers daily, I'll point my newsreader at
alt.really.exciting.offers.  If I want something, *I* will initiate the
the contact.  I do *NOT* want to be marketed to via my inbox, any more
than I want to be marketed to via my phone at suppertime.  Do you
understand ?

  It's been my experience that marketing types think that email was
invented first and foremost for marketing and email-blasting.  Wrong; it
was invented as two-way communication.  If a potential customer emails
you asking for a quote on 1000 widgets, reply to their email with the
requested quote.  That is customer service.  Blasting out millions of
unsolicited emails contributes to the destruction of the medium.

--
Bill Pease, Ph.D.
Chief Technology Officer