Re: [Asrg] Re: [1] Why SPAM is worse in SMTP than in other protocols

2003-12-22 16:07:14
Alan DeKok wrote:
Troy Rollo <asrg(_at_)troy(_dot_)rollo(_dot_)name> wrote:
Take, for example, the MS network popup messaging protocol (whose
name I don't recall). It also put the message in the face of the
targets.

  And as you noticed, the abuse stopped because everyone decided they
didn't need the protocol.  We can't do that with SMTP.

  Please read the document.  It tries to explain all this in more
detail than I've included here.

The very nature of MS's protocol is any-to-any, which is exactly what
the problem with SMTP is as well. BTW, link to the original document:

http://www.striker.ottawa.on.ca/~aland/smtp-sucks/problems.txt

Yakov
-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"And this too shall come to pass"
-------