[Asrg] 0. General- useful ideas from other areas of research.

2003-12-29 19:22:49
In science news vol. 164 #25&26 the main article entitled “Bookish Math” is about modern techniques for analyzing text, collectively called stylometry. Using stylometry on various anonymously written or disputed texts has given new data that has helped to resolve the true author. This may have impact on future content based filters.

The full text of the article “Bookish Math” may be found at the science news website
http://www.sciencenews.org

of particular interest to me are support-vector machines.
from the article:

“As does PCA[another technique mentioned], the new technique plots each chunk of text as a point in a high-dimensional space. It then searches for the best-fitting surface that divides the points belonging to one author from those of the other author.”

I mentioned this idea before, but did not know this actually existed for text classification.
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.asrg/6093

John Fenley